Monday, February 9, 2009

Scientific Method

Originally I did not have any idea of the question was that I wanted to explore. The only thing I knew was the technique was that I wanted to use. This is where my mind usually goes first is how do I want to create it, even before I realize what it is I want to create.

The idea I had was to use layers of transparent paper and create marks on each layer. Then overlapping the layers would create a full image. My original Idea for content was to use nature and more specifically was a tree.

Another idea for content was to create bubbles on each layer which in turn would then give the impression of liquid.

Talking with the group members, I was able to generate a question with their help.

What is a marks potential?
More so, when looking at an image most people see the image itself and not the individual marks that make up the image. How can one use individual marks that are identifiable separately but together they also form into something new.

Using the idea of trees, one could show seasons though the layers, or the life cycle of the tree, from young to old to death.

Why a tree... It seems that I gravitate towards trees in drawing more so then any other subject matter. It generally comes down to the controlled chaos that is represented through the branches of the tree. The tree's branches are very random in the lines that they create.

To recreate this, very random marks could be made on the layers of the paper. The more the paper is layered on each other, the more those random marks are controlled by the overall form that is created by the random mark mass. Ultimately forming into a tree form.

No comments: