Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Let myself introduce... myself

My name is Nathan Strauss and I grew up in a smaller town in the middle of Wisconsin called Beaver Dam. out of high school I decided to go to a tech college as I did not know where I wanted to go for my future. I spent two years at the tech college completing all my generals. I then transferred here to stout and in the last 3 years I finished a psychology degree. Upon graduation I realized I didn't want to sit in an office all day and was not happy with the outlook of my career choice. So right before finishing my psych degree I added studio art as a second major.

My plan was to finish a studio art degree and start a career as a illustrator/game concept artist. At the same time I started talking to some teachers and I found out that Stout was going to offer a game development and design degree. So I figured since I wont be able to handle 16 credits of studio classes each semester, I might as well fill out another degree and mix my studio classes up with some GDD classes. Effectively I plan to graduate in about 3 more years, bringing my total of college years to 8, and 3 degrees with neither of them being a doctorite :)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Let me first say, your self portrait looks amazing, I remember doing that, and yes it takes a lot longer that you first anticipate. Your other two pieces also look amazing, you definitely know how to draw, I hope to see how you incorporate these skills with your major.

ReubenBalsisLD said...

I like you work. Your self portrait is wonderful. I also like you Full-Metal Alchemist painting. Really good for water color on a first try. You seem to have a lot od schooling under your belt. I hope that each one of your majors have enriched the other and maybe someday you will be able to combine them.

Melissa said...

I already posted on this blog, but I wanted to post specifically on your puppeteer image. This is a very playful piece but gives off this dark feeling as well. The warm colors really pop off the page and makes it really come to life. There's probably a deep meaning behind this piece of being manipulated in some sort of way. You really came through with a 3-D effect, this also makes the imagery really pop off the black background.